29 February 2008

Car's Little Scrap

So little Carter suffered his first semi-major doctor-visiting injury yesterday. While playing with Mommy on his bed, having a terrific time by all accounts, he was jumoing back and forth from Mommy to the pillow. Once when he went to jump back to the pillow, he jumped and his eye caught not the pillow, but the chair rail on the wall (cringing). He first continued laughing! Then, he realized he had hurt himself.


All is well, although he does have a nice little shiner. The small cut just outside the outside point of his eye was not very deep and very clean, so he will probably have a tough-man scar for only a year or so. No stitches yet.

Something about when the kids get so tired, or if they hurt themselves and need consoling, they oftentimes enjoy a small window of pure sweetness. After we visited Dr W's office, we were driving home in Daddy's car (a treat), and out of the blue, Carter says, "Daddy, I love you." Wow, what a great little guy. I just melted. I almost had to stop the car and crawl into the back seat to snuggle with him right then and there.


I love my little buddy, and especially his xerberts:












Then after we had read about Joseph and his mean brothers, after he had drifted off to sleep, I went into his room to tuck him in as I usually do. As I pulled the covers up over him, he regathered his twisting sleeping body, pulled his knees up under him and pressed his hands down between his legs, just as he used to sleep as a baby. I was deeply touched at how fast time moves, and how quickly this sweet sweet time is running through my fingers.












And sweet little Anna Brooks is the world's best cuddlebug. She loves to burrow up into your neck under your chin, and she loves to kiss your chin.


The Lord has a time and a season for everything, this I know. With my worldly limitations, I cannot imagine a more special season than now. But, as His goodness endures and never returns void, I know that this is somehow only a foretaste.


No comments: